Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

In line with government advice our reception at Bridgwater House remains closed. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

Street naming and numbering

Sedgemoor District Council manages the naming of streets and the numbering or naming of properties within a street.

Sedgemoor District Council are responsible for maintaining a street gazetteer for its area including postcodes approved by the Royal Mail.

The accurate addressing of properties is important and must be carried out by us officially as we will inform  other internal council departments and the Royal Mail . We will also make this address information available to utility providers, Land Registry, the emergency services and other government agencies.                                                                                  

Without a correctly registered address it may be difficult to open a bank account or obtain credit.

To name or number a new building or street or rename an existing property or street please refer to the application forms below which sets out the information we require and the process involved.

Please note that charges apply for the numbering and or renaming of new properties and streets , the fee schedule can be found within the application forms below.

We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times.  To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice

If you are not satisfied with the way your personal information is handled please contact the Data Protection Officer at

link arrow
Developing a single property/small development - How do I number properties?

You will need to contact us (contact details below) as we have a responsibility for naming and numbering new properties.

A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

If the street has named properties, then the development plot numbers will be used initially to register the property address and subsequently, when the new owner chooses a name, we will follow our standard process of Property Name Change. The information is then sent to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant council services. You will also be sent a copy of the registered address from which we would ask you to inform your prospective purchasers of their new property address.

link arrow
How do I rename my house?

In the case of addresses where there is not a number allocated and the name forms part of the official address it is possible to rename your house. To do this you will need to send us a completed Street Naming and Numbering form. This can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page.

We will contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request alternatives.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, Emergency and Essential Services and other relevant Council Services. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

pdf Application for naming of: New dwellings, subdivision of existing properties, new streets, and re-numbering of development sites. [532.33KB] pdf Application form - re-naming of a property or street. [524.9KB] pdf Street Naming Policy [392.31KB] arrowSomerset County Council