Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
The food hygiene rating scheme provides customers with information about hygiene standards in food businesses. Businesses in Sedgemoor are rated by Environmental Health officers, and this helps customers make informed choices about where they buy and eat food.
- A rating of 5 means that conditions are very good
- A rating of 4 means that conditions are good
- A rating of 3 means that conditions are generally satisfactory
- A rating of 2 means that improvement is necessary
- A rating of 1 means that major improvement is necessary
- A rating of 0 means that urgent improvement is necessary
How do I find out the ratings of food businesses in Sedgemoor?
Check the food hygiene rating of a business before you eat.
- Look out for window stickers and certificates displaying a premises rating, or
- visit the Food Standards Agency web site to search for a food hygiene rating given to a business.
Food hygiene ratings of 5 are also announced on Twitter.
How is the rating calculated?
Following food hygiene inspection the businesses will be given a rating for the standards of hygiene found at that time. These include:
- How hygienically the food is handled - safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage.
- The condition of the structure of the premises - cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities.
- How food safety is managed and documented - using systems such as Safer Food Better Business or equivalent.
Appeal a food hygiene rating
It is a good idea to speak informally first of all to the food safety officer that undertook the inspection of your premises as this will help you to understand how your rating was worked out and to see if still want to appeal it. If you are still unsatisfied you must make your appeal in writing within 21 days of being notified about your food hygiene rating. This period includes weekends and public holidays. To appeal complete this form Food Hygiene Rating Appeal . You may also wish to visit the Food Standards Agency for more information on making an appeal.
Request a re-visit
Businesses wanting a re-visit to revise a rating should complete this form Food Hygiene Re-Inspection . The charge for a re-visit is £135.00
You must explain what actions you have taken on the issues raised at your last inspection and you should include supporting evidence, for example, receipts or photographs to show that work has been completed. Failure to supply sufficient evidence could result in refusal of your request.
We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times. To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice.
If you are not satisfied with the way your personal information is handled please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org