Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

Our reception at Bridgwater House is currently closed, but Council services remain operational. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

Historic Environment

Designated heritage assets are defined within the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) as "A World Heritage Site, Scheduled Monument, Listed Building, Protected Wreck Site, Registered Park & Garden, Registered Battlefield or Conservation Area designated as such under the relevant legislation." (NPPF, Annex 2: Glossary, 2012)

National Planning Policy Framework

Sedgemoor District Council has a statutory duty to preserve or enhance the special architectural or historic interest of designated heritage assets. Further information and guidance on listed buildings and conservation areas is provided below.

Within Sedgemoor, there are the following types of designated heritage assets:

  • 79 Scheduled Monuments
  • 1 Registered Park & Garden
  • 1 Registered Battlefield

The above assets are designated and protected by Historic England, and further information regarding these designated heritage assets can be found on the Historic England website.

Is your property a listed building or located within a conservation area?

Using the Interactive Mapping Online tool. The following provides a step-by-step guide to use this tool:

  • Go to Interactive Mapping Online, (link below) and launch the service.
  • Enter your address or postcode in the "Search for an Address" box and click on the Search button.
  • Select your address in the list.
  • Your property will be shown on the map.
  • In the Map Legend, click the box next to Conservation (click on the triangle next to the word Conservation to see the key). This will display Conservation Areas, Listed Buildings and Tree Preservation orders on the map (please note that you may need to zoom out).

Click here to launch Interactive Mapping 

It is a criminal offence to carry out works which need listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand. This is outlined within section 9 of the Planning (Listed Buildings & Conservation Areas) Act 1990.

Any concerns regarding unauthorised works to a listed building should be reported in accordance with Sedgemoor District Council's Enforcement Policy, which can be found on our Planning Enforcement page.

Associated structures within the grounds of a listed building, which are not specifically included within the List, may also be considered to form part of the listed building.

These structures are known as curtilage protected structures. Clarification on whether a structure would be considered to be protected under the legislation can be obtained by contacting the Conservation Officer, via the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Further information on living in a listed building, as well as additional guidance documents for owners, occupiers and agents are detailed below:

Icon for pdf Living in a Listed Building [1.48MB]
Icon for pdf Living in a Conservation Area [2.16MB]

Listed Buildings

Listed buildings is a building, object or structure that is considered to have special architectural and or historic interest. They are deemed national importance and should be protected for future generations.

Conservation Areas

Conservation Areas are protected by the Planning (Listed Buildings & Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (the Act). Under section 69 of the Act, every Local Planning Authority has a duty to designate any areas of special architectural or historic interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance, as conservation areas.

Climate Change impacts on Historic Environment

Sedgemoor District Council works to protect and enhance the environment and reduce the impact of its buildings and services on the planet but we can and must do more to achieve the ambitious targets we have set ourselves.

pdf Planning charges and application fees [533.65KB] arrowPlanning Duty Officer arrowDemolition in a Conservation Areas arrowListed Building Consent Application arrowMake a Planning Application arrowInteractive Mapping Online arrowPlanning Application Validation arrowWildlife Assessment Check arrowPlanning Portal