Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

In line with government advice our reception at Bridgwater House remains closed. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

Demolition in a Conservation Areas

Conservation areas are places of special architectural or historic interest where it is desirable to preserve and enhance the character and appearance of such areas. The purpose of a conservation area is not to prevent all development but rather to enable its careful management.

If your development site is in a conservation area, you will generally need 'planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area' (also commonly known as 'conservation area consent') to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of 115 cubic metres or more.
  • To demolish any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure with:
    • a height of one metre or more if next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway), waterway or open space; or
    • a height of two metres or more elsewhere.

Please note: There are some exemptions to these general requirements.

To find out more information on conservation areas or listed buildings please see the Historic Environment page.

Application Form

We welcome and encourage applications submitted electronically.

Guidance Notes

Validation Checklist

Useful resources

pdf Double glazing and buildings in the historic environment - window policy guidance note [6.7MB] pdf Living in a Conservation Area [2.16MB] pdf Heritage Statement Guidance [410.29KB] pdf Planning charges and application fees [533.65KB] pdf Local Validation Checklist [1.36MB] arrowHistoric Environment arrowEnvironment Agency Local Flood Risk Standing Advice for Sedgemoor arrowListed Building Consent Application arrowInteractive Mapping Online arrowPlanning Portal