A comprehensive list of all Prior Approval is available here, with their associated fees and links to their application forms.
Please read our COVID-19 and Planning webpage
Prior approval means that a developer has to seek approval from the local planning authority (Sedgemoor District Council) that specified elements of the development are acceptable before work can proceed. The matters for prior approval vary depending on the type of development and these are set out in full in the relevant parts in Schedule 2 of the General Permitted Development Order. SDC cannot consider any other matters when determining a prior approval application.
Prior approval is required for some change of use permitted development rights. Certain other types of permitted development including the erection of new agricultural buildings, demolition and the installation of telecommunications equipment also require prior approval. The matters which must be considered by the local planning authority in each type of development are set out in the relevant parts of Schedule 2 to the General Permitted Development Order.
The statutory requirements relating to prior approval are much less prescriptive than those relating to planning applications. This is deliberate, as prior approval is a light-touch process which applies where the principle of the development has already been established. Where no specific procedure is provided in the General Permitted Development Order, local planning authorities have discretion on what processes they put in place.
- Validation requirements for Prior Approval Notifications are set out in The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 Part 3 W.
- Prior Approval application forms must be completed in full and include specific requirements depending on the proposal, relating to flood risk, transport / highways impacts, noise assessments, etc.
- Development carried out using permitted development rights can be liable to pay a Community Infrastructure Levy charge. For further details please read our Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) pages.
It is recommended that you read our Planning Application Validation webpage before submitting an application.
Sedgemoor District Council welcomes and encourages planning applications submitted electronically.
Submitting an Application
As a consequence of the restrictions put in place by the Government to deal with the Coronavirus our staff are working remotely. Unfortunately due to constraints of remote working there is approximately a 4 week delay in processing applications. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes but hope you could bear with us given the unprecedented situation.
It will help speed up the determination of your application if you can provide comprehensive photographs of the site with your application.
Direct to Sedgemoor District Council
- Via email to email@example.com (please note e-mails with attachments should be no bigger than 10mb)
If you have provided applications or supporting information via post there will be a delay in processing them due to staff working remotely.
Please allow 1 working day for the application to be set-up on our back office system, we will then send a confirmation letter to the Agent (if applicable)/Applicant which will include the Planning Application Number.
- Payments - you must quote the planning application number when making your payment. We accept payment via the following methods:
- Cheque - made payable to Sedgemoor District Council
- BACS - it is strongly advised that you inform us if paying via this method to prevent any delay in connecting your payment to your application ( )
- Debit/Credit Card (over the phone 0300 303 7805)
Via the Planning Portal
- Apply online via the Planning Portal application service (this is an external link)
- If submitting your application via the Planning Portal you will need to make your payment (if applicable) to the Planning Portal in order for us to receive the application.
- For further information about making an application via the Planning Portal or making a payment to them please see their website Planning Portal