Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

In line with government advice our reception at Bridgwater House remains closed. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

Pre-Planning Application Advice

Sedgemoor District Council is proactive in encouraging pre-application discussions.

Please read our COVID-19 and Planning webpage

If planning permission is required it can be very helpful to seek our advice about your planning proposals before submitting your actual application. This might involve meeting with us or just sending us your proposals for us to comment. This can help to overcome potential difficulties and make sure your application deals with all the important planning considerations. Full details of how this service works can be found in our Icon for pdf Pre-Planning Application Advice Guidance [283.24KB] leaflet. Please note that VAT is applicable to the Pre-Planning Advice service.

The benefits of pre-planning application advice

  • Identify the relevant guidance and policy considerations
  • Identify site constraints and opportunities
  • Identify proposals which have a reasonable prospect of success as well as those that are likely to be unacceptable
  • Reduce time and cost if/when pursuing an application
  • Ensure you provide the correct information to support an application

Please use our Icon for pdf Pre-Application Planning Advice Form [365.32KB] to request Pre-Planning Application Advice.

Is permission required for your proposed development?

Certain small developments do not require permission; this is called "permitted development". It is your responsibility as the owner/developer to establish the need or otherwise for planning permission. The Planning Portal Interactive House provides a visual guide to the permitted development rights for houses and further information about Permitted Development Rights can be found on the Planning Portal - Permitted Development page. Permitted Development Rights are set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 as amended.

Please note that the Council does not offer a service to advise whether permission is required or not. If you are uncertain or require formal confirmation that a development does not require planning permission and is lawful, you should apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development.

Listed Buildings

There are different requirements for Permitted Development if the property is a listed building, please see our Listed Building page.

Solar Panels

The installation of solar panels and equipment on residential buildings and land may be 'permitted development' with no need to apply to the Local Planning Authority for planning permission. There are, however, important limits and conditions which must be met to benefit from these permitted development rights. For further information please read our Icon for pdf Planning Advice on Solar Panels [223.66KB] leaflet.


pdf Pre-Planning Application Advice Guidance [283.24KB] pdf Pre-Application Planning Advice Form [365.32KB] pdf Planning Advice on Solar Panels [223.66KB] pdf Planning charges and application fees [533.65KB] pdf Map of Development Management Teams, Parishes and Parish Reference Numbers [635.69KB] arrowMake a Planning Application arrowInteractive Mapping Online arrowPlanning Portal arrowPlanning Portal Interactive House arrowPlanning Portal - Do you need permission? arrowSCC Highway Authority: consultation on planning process, standing advice and pre-application advice