Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

Our reception at Bridgwater House is currently closed, but Council services remain operational. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

The reception area will reopen to members of the public on Monday 4th October 2021 at 8:45am.

Applying for a vehicle or Private Hire Operator Licence

Vehicle Licences

General information about the licensing of Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Vehicles

Firstly, you must decide which type of licence you wish to apply for, and which is best for the type of business you intend to operate. Please refer to our policy and its attached vehicle conditions for the full list of requirements. This is a decision you must make, and is not something the Licensing authority can help or guide you with. You will need to do your own research.

The key things you will need to be aware of if purchasing a new vehicle to comply with our current policy requirements are:

  • The vehicle can be no more than 5 years old at the time of first licensing.
  • New Hackney Carriage vehicles must be wheelchair accessible, unless as a replacement for a Hackney carriage vehicle currently licensed between numbers 1 and 58 (see policy)

  • There are no wheelchair restrictions when licensing a Private Hire Vehicle.

  • All vehicles will require regular safety inspections (in addition to a MOT), at a frequency determined by our policy conditions and the age of the vehicle. There will be a minimum of 1 Sedgemoor vehicle inspection per 12-month period. There is a charge for each test, in addition to the annual vehicle licence fee. Inspections can be booked at our in-house testing station by calling 01278 435529.

Vehicles that can carry 9 or more passengers, in addition to the driver, such as a minibus, coach etc, do not fall under taxi legislation and are classified as Public Service Vehicles (PSV's). They are not administered by Local Authority Licensing Departments. More details about PSV's can be found here.

Apply for a vehicle licence

Before you start, you will need a payment card to complete the transaction. You will also require to upload supporting evidence of the current MOT and insurance status of the vehicle, so please make sure you have scans of your documents. In addition, new vehicle applications will require evidence of the V5 logbook.

To apply for a new vehicle licence, or renew an existing licence, please click here.


Transfer a Vehicle Licence

If you purchase a currently licenced Sedgemoor vehicle from another business or individual, you will need to apply to transfer the licence into the name of the new owner or business. It is only the paper licence that need to be amended. The existing licence plates will remain on the vehicle as they are specific to the vehicle, not an individual.

Before you start, you will need a payment card to complete the transaction. You will also need to upload evidence that the vehicle is insured in the new proprietor's name. To transfer a vehicle licence, please click here.

Private Hire Operator Licences

General information about Private Hire Operator Licences

If you have a licenced Private Hire Vehicle, and take your own bookings (phone, email etc), you will need a Private Hire Operator Licence. If for example you are self-employed, have your own vehicle, and a company / agent allocate work to you, via bookings they have taken, you will not normally need an operator licence, as the booking will be covered under their operator licence. In order to conduct a booking lawfully, a "trilogy" of Private Hire licences (Driver, Vehicle, and Operator) must be in place, ANDall must have been issued by the same Licensing Authority.

Operator licences are issued on a 5-year basis. During this time, you will be required to submit to an annual inspection. This will be primarily in terms of record keeping but will include other things. Please refer to our policy regarding the minimum standards we will expect in terms of what booking information is retained in your records.

If you are a licenced operator who has booking staff, in line with the Department for Transport minim standards document issued in July 2020, it is now mandatory that such staff undertake a basic DBS criminal records check. It is the operator's responsibility to arrange these checks and keep records of them. Verification of these checks will form part of the Licensing authority inspection.

Apply for a Private Hire Operator Licence

Before you start, you will need a payment card to complete the transaction.

If you wish to apply for a new Private hire Operator licence, or renew an existing licence, please click here.


We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times.  To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice.

If you are not satisfied with the way your personal information is handled please contact the Data Protection Officer at

pdf 2021-22 Fees [14.66KB]