Postcode Search
xmas alert
Christmas and New Year in Sedgemoor

Sedgemoor District Council will remain open for business as usual during the holiday period on all days except bank holidays.

Rubbish and recycling collections will be two days later from Monday 25th to Friday 29th December, and one day later between Monday 1st to Friday 5th January. A Bank Holiday Collection leaflet from the Somerset Waste Partnership is available here: Icon for pdf Christmas & New Year Refuse Collections 2017/2018 [22.09KB]

Caravans & Camping

Sedgemoor District Council licences caravan sites under the requirements of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Conditions are applied to caravan site licences to protect not only the residents on the site from risks associated with the means of access, fire, drinking water and sanitation, but also the environment from risks of pollution.

When is a Caravan Site needed?

In simple terms, a caravan site licence is required for land where a caravan is used for living in. However, a Caravan Site Licence can only be issued for land that has Planning Permission to be used as a caravan site.

There are exceptions e.g. a Caravan Site Licence would not be required where:

  • The caravan was located within the curtilage of a dwelling house, if its use was incidental to the use of the house.
  • If someone came with a caravan and stayed for no more than two nights and did not spend more than a total of twenty-eight days there in the same year.
  • If the caravan site were used by an exempted organisation; e.g. the Camping & Caravanning Club etc.
  • The land is used as winter quarters by Travelling Showmen.
  • The use of land of 5 acres or more for no more than twenty-eight days per year, provided that no more than three caravans are there at any one time.

Should you require assistance in Health & Safety issues, the Health & Safety Consultants Register can be found by following link in the box below.   

Please download this document for further details on caravan site licensing  Icon for pdf Camping & Caravanning Site Licence [17.39KB] , or, it is possible to apply on-line here:  Application for camping and caravan site licence

Caravan Site Licence Application Form [29.02KB] Find a Registered Health & Safety Consultant