Corporate debt recovery
The recovery team focus on collecting monies from those people who are in arrears with their Council Tax and Business Rates. Find out how they operate and who to contact if you are in arrears.
Although we are charged with collecting a very high percentage of this amount within each financial year, we believe in:
- Giving individual consideration by taking a flexible approach.
- Distinguishing between those that cannot pay and those that won't
- Promoting assistance to the taxpayer
- Preventing debt rather than simply recovering it
As soon as you realise you have a problem paying your bill you should talk to the Council. Please ring our friendly Team who will be happy to help you: 0300 303 7801
You may be entitled to a reduction in your bill, for example, through Council Tax Support. The Council may also be able to help you by rescheduling your payments. Do not ignore the bill; if you do not pay it and fail to agree any other arrangement with the Council, recovery action may be taken which could considerably increase the amount you have to pay.
Making Council Tax payments easier
How can the Revenues Service help ?
- Offer free support and assistance to customers experiencing difficulty with their payments
- Make sure you are receiving the relevant Council Tax discounts, allowances and benefits
- Arrange a payment plan to suit your finances
- Discuss options and ways to pay; weekly, fortnightly or monthly to suit you
- Spread your payments over the whole year meaning lower amounts to pay each time
- Help you draw up a financial statement to budget your payments
- Friendly walk in service at Bridgwater House, King Square, Bridgwater
- Telephone advice
- Appointments in a private room can be made if preferred
Other ways we can help:-
Even if you have several Council Tax debts, or other related worries, please contact us first.
If we are unable to help you ourselves we can refer you to various advice and information centres around Sedgemoor who offer free independent advice.
There is no charge for our assistance and speaking to us early can avoid incurring further costs and charges.