Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

In line with government advice our reception at Bridgwater House remains closed. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

Homefinder Somerset

Homefinder Somerset is the way of finding social housing to rent. It lets you select the homes you would like to be considered for within Somerset. Anyone with a local connection to the Homefinder Somerset partner local authorities can apply to join the scheme including existing tenants who would like to transfer.

Homefinder Somerset is a partnership of local authorities and housing associations who are working together to make the process of finding a home simple and transparent for all applicants across Somerset. The 5 local authorities participating in the Homefinder Somerset scheme are Mendip District Council, Sedgemoor District Council, South Somerset District Council, Taunton Deane Borough Council and West Somerset Council.

To register for affordable housing, please visit the Homefinder Somerset website, where you can complete an application form online. This is the simplest way of applying for housing although, if you prefer, you can complete a paper application form which can be downloaded from their website or they are available from our offices in Bridgwater.

If you require any help completing an application, please contact our Housing Advice Team who will be only too pleased to assist you.

PLEASE NOTE: You cannot be included on Homefinder Somerset if you do not provide the required documents and proof of ID. These should be provided when you apply.

Mutual Exchanges

If you are a tenant of a Homefinder Somerset partner landlord within the Homefinder Somerset area, and want to move to another location within the area, then you can advertise your property for mutual exchange on their website. In order to do this you need to be registered on the Homefinder Somerset register, then you can login to your account on this website and place a mutual exchange advert.

If you reside outside the Somerset area, there are various websites you can access:

  • Homeswapper is for social tenants (in rented property) who want a house swap (or flat swap). This is also called mutual exchange. If you live in a council house or housing association property you can swap.
  • Council Exchange is an independent website offering a free mutual exchange service. Their website covers almost every town in the UK and is free for tenants to use.
  • GOV.UK Once you have accessed this site you need to click on the following links - Home and community - Social housing-Home Exchange and mobility schemes - Exchanging council homes - Find out about mutual exchange; at this stage you can then enter your details.

arrowHomefinder Somerset