Skip to main content
Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Reception is closed, but we are open for business.

Our reception at Bridgwater House is currently closed, but Council services remain operational. You can contact us by calling 0300 303 7800 or by emailing

The reception area will reopen to members of the public on Monday 4th October 2021 at 8:45am.

What to do if you are not happy with the help given

When we have determined your claim we will send you a notification letter to tell you how much benefit has been awarded and how it has been calculated.

If you are not sure how we have worked out your claim you can contact us and we will quite happily try to explain how your claim was assessed. If we have done something wrong we will correct it.

If you are not happy with the decision that has been made then you can:

  • Make an appeal against it
  • Ask the Benefit Officer to reconsider the decision

This must be done within ONE MONTH starting from the day following the date of the letter and must be done in writing. If you wish, you can report it online or use the downloadable appeal form.

Where you have requested that the Benefit Officer reconsider the decision made, the Benefit Officer will look at the case again, taking into consideration what you have said.

Where the Benefit Officer decides that the decision can be changed and that further benefit can be given, you will have another month to decide if you are still not happy with the decision and if you are not then the case will go to appeal.

Where the Benefit Officer decides that the decision is correct and that no further benefit can be given, the case will go to appeal. The appeal will be decided by an independent body called Her Majesty's Courts and  Tribunals Service. They will convene a hearing so that they can hear evidence from you and evidence from Sedgemoor District Council about your case.

Once they have heard the evidence they will make a decision on the case and if that decision is in your favour then the Council will have to change its decision. If it is not then the original decision will stand.

pdf Appealing To A Tribunal [518.66KB] arrowThe Appeals Service