Local Housing Allowance Rates
The Local Housing Allowance was introduced from 07/04/2008.
The below rates became effective from April 2020 and remain correct for 2021/22.
Broad Rental Market Area
Taunton & West
To work out the Local Housing Allowance that will be used to calculate your benefit you need to follow these steps:
- Decide which of the 3 Broad Market Rental Areas your property is in (you can click on the map to see a larger image).
- Work out how many bedrooms your household is allowed (see below).
By household we mean:
- Your partner
- Dependent Children - not including foster children
- Non Dependants - for example adult children, parents etc.
- Boarders and sub-tenants
You are allowed one bedroom for:
- Every adult couple (married or unmarried)
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two children under age 10
- Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any other child.
- A non resident carer providing overnight care to you or your partner
The only exceptions to these rules are:
- Single Person under 35 - will always receive the Shared Room rate regardless of the type of property they occupy unless they are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium in their Applicable Amount .
- Single People over 35 - will only receive the Shared Room rate if they live in shared accommodation
- Childless Couples - will only receive the Shared Room rate if they live in shared accommodation.