Who can claim?
If you are liable to pay rent for the property that you live in, you can claim Housing Benefit.
It could be rented from:
- a private landlord
- a Housing Association
- or the Council
You cannot normally claim benefit if:-
- You live with, and have to pay rent to, a close relative.
- You have savings over £16,000.
- You are the owner or joint owner of the property
- You are a long lease holder (over 21 years)
- You are in registered residential care or nursing home.
There are also special rules regarding students.