Postcode Search

Penalty appeals

Find out how a penalty can be imposed on you and what to do if you disagree with a penalty.

When can a penalty be imposed on me?

Councils have powers to impose penalties where a person is required by law to provide information (for example, to enable councils to work out who should pay council tax) and either fails to do so, or supplies information which the person knows is false.

What if I disagree with a penalty?

If you disagree with a penalty imposed on you, you may first wish to discuss it with your council. Alternatively, you may appeal direct to a Valuation Tribunal. You will normally have two months in which to appeal after a penalty is imposed. Your council should provide you with information about how to appeal and the date by which any appeal should be made. If you do appeal, you do not have to pay your penalty until your appeal is decided.