Postcode Search

How to appeal

You may appeal against any decision your council has taken. However you should continue to pay your original Council Tax or Business Rates bill while your appeal is outstanding. See details below on how to appeal the rateable value of your property.

If you wish to appeal against the rateable value of your property you may contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501501. Alternatively you can access an appeal form on the  Valuation Office Agency website, which also has further information about appeals.

You may wish to contact a rating advisor. Members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. You can also find details of these organisations and their members on their websites:

Please note other companies claiming they can guarantee a reduction in rateable valuable may contact you.

Before employing a rating advisor, and particularly before employing one who is not a member of one of these bodies, you should satisfy yourself that he or she has the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance.

You should also be wary of false or misleading claims.

With the new List, fresh transitional arrangements will apply. Please be aware that the recalculation of your demand following a reduction may not result in an overpayment if transitional arrangements apply. Further information can be obtained by contacting the Taxation Team at Sedgemoor District Council.

Please be careful before entering into any contract and take advice if necessary before you do so. Please bear in mind that no matter how persuasive they may be, no one can guarantee reductions in rateable value. These are always subject to the agreement of the Valuation Officer, or the decision of a valuation tribunal or higher court.