Postcode Search

Second Adult Rebate

Second adult rebate is to help people who do not qualify for the 25% Single Person Discount from their Council Tax because of other people living in the household with them (second adults) who are on a low income and are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • not liable to pay rent to you
  • not jointly liable for Council Tax

The income and capital of the claimant, the person liable for Council Tax, is not taken into consideration in deciding a claim for second adult rebate.

The amount of rebate will depend upon the income of the second adults in the property, as follows:

April 2017

Gross Income greater than £252.49


Gross Income £194.95 - £252.49


Gross Income less than £194.95


Income Support 
Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
Pension Credits


Second Adults Circumstances


Where there is more than one second adult and they are not all in receipt of either Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income based), Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credits the joint gross incomes of the remaining second adults is taken into account.

Any rebate granted will be credited to the claimants Council Tax account to reduce the amount of Council Tax that has to be paid.

To apply for this benefit you will need to complete sections 1, 3 & 13 of the claim form and provide confirmation of your National Insurance number as well the second adults' income.

pdf Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Form [192.79KB]