Postcode Search

How it is worked out

Council Tax Support is a means tested benefit and takes into account the following:

Unless you are in receipt of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based) or Guaranteed Pension Credit we also have to take into account

Applicable amounts

These are figures, set by the Government, to reflect the basic living needs of the claimant and family. They take into account the ages and composition of the family as well as the disabilities and certain state benefits received by members of the household.


We have to take into account of all the income coming into the household, such as:

  • Earnings - we disregard set amounts for earnings as well as, tax, national insurance, half of pension contributions paid and in certain cases we may be able to offset childcare charges against them.
  • State Benefits e.g. Incapacity Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance (Contributions Based), Child & Working Tax Credit, Child Benefit, State Retirement Pension, Carers Allowance etc. Some benefits we can disregard in part or in full.
  • Other Income e.g. maintenance, private pensions, money received from sub-tenants or boarders etc.


We have to take into account any capital or savings you or your partner have. This includes land and property, other than your home, as well as stocks, shares, bonds and bank and building society accounts, even if they are overdrawn.

Generally you can not get Council Tax Support if you have over £16,000.


A non-dependant is someone who normally lives with you but is not:

  • Your husband/wife/partner.
  • A child that you get child benefit for.
  • A joint-tenant.
  • A sub-tenant.
  • A resident landlord, or a member of their family.
  • Someone who lives with you and takes care of you, or your partner, and is employed by a charitable or voluntary body who charge you for the care.

The regulations say that we must reduce your Benefit by a set amount (The amount of the deduction is set by the Government) each week for each non-dependant who is living with you. The amount of this non-dependant deduction depends on the income of the non-dependant not the amount they pay you.

There are certain circumstances where no deduction is made e.g. if you or your partner are in receipt of Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance.


There are special rules regarding students as not all are able to be considered for Support.