Postcode Search

How to make a complaint about a councillor

If you have concerns about a Councillor, please follow these steps.

Sedgemoor District Council, through its Standards Committee, has responsibility for dealing with complaints that a Councillor may have acted in breach of the relevant Code of Conduct. This responsibility relates to complaints about Councillors of Sedgemoor District Council and all Town & Parish Councils in Sedgemoor.

If you wish to complain about a Councillor then the first thing you need to ensure is that the behaviour you wish to complain about is in breach of the Code. The Code of Conduct that applies to Sedgemoor District Council Councillors was adopted by the Council on 18th July 2012. Each Town and Parish Council is responsible for deciding what its own Code should contain so its provisions may differ from our own. We will eventually have copies of all Codes of Conduct on our web site but until we do, you will need to contact the relevant Town or Parish Council clerk to get a copy of their code to see if the behaviour you wish to complain about is covered. If it is not then we cannot deal with the complaint.

Please read the guidance notes before submitting your complaint and use the complaint form provided. If you have any queries then please contact the Monitoring Officer - 01278 435734 or by e mail to

You will note that the sanctions available to the Standards Committee are quite limited even for the most serious breach of the Code. The previous statutory Code, Standards for England, the ability to suspend members and the prescribed complaints procedure no longer apply to complaints about councillors as a consequence of the Localism Act 2011 which revoked all the previous legislation and guidance.

pdf Member Complaint Form [241.48KB] pdf Code of Conduct 2012 [404.0KB] pdf Member Complaint Process and Guidance [299.67KB]