Postcode Search
xmas alert Icon
Christmas and New Year in Sedgemoor

Sedgemoor District Council will remain open for business as usual during the holiday period on all days except bank holidays.

Revised rubbish and recycling collection days are available here: Christmas & New Year Waste Collections

 

Marine Cove, Burnham-on-Sea


Tucked away on Burnham-on-Sea's Victorian Esplanade, next to St Andrew's Church, are the Green Flag award-winning Marine Cove gardens. These formally laid out Gardens are a place of tranquillity and relaxation.

Friends of Marine Cove

Hidden behind high stonewalls away from the sea winds next to the base of the leaning tower of St Andrews Church; this area is perfect for picnics and watching the world go by. The central feature of the garden is an Art Deco style fishpond.

Sedgemoor District Council was successful in being awarded funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to restore Marine Cove Gardens, which reopened in December 2011.

In 2012 Marine Cove Gardens was first awarded a Green Flag, and have continued to do so each year since.

 

Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) - Britain in Bloom South West

In 2017, the RHS and South West in Bloom awarded Marine Cove Gardens with a Level 3 award, which the Friends were very pleased to receive.  The work continues and new volunteers are always welcome.

Access

There are ample access points to the site direct from the Esplanade, access to the site by car or bus is straightforward. There are way markers near to the zebra crossing on the Esplanade (approximately 100m away) and on Victoria Street pointing people through the churchyard to the gardens.

For directions to Marine Cove Gardens, please use the postcode TA8 1DX or for further information, contact the Council using the details below.

A Brief History of Marine Cove

The Marine Cove site was originally part of the Old Vicarage estate until its sale in 1922 to a private company, Burnham on Sea Attractions Ltd for £650.00. The company wished to prevent housing development at the site and hoped to sell it to the Council; the Council declined the offer on the table. Subsequently at a Council meeting in 1925 the land (then known as Marine Lawn) was gifted to the "The Urban District Council", this gift was formalised in 1926 and the Marine Cove Gardens was designed, as you would see them today, a beautiful, Historic Edwardian Garden. The Gardens were formally opened in 1927 by J B Braithwaite (Quaker and Stockbroker1855-1934).


Events held in the Park

We hope the use of the park will continue to grow, with varied and diverse groups coming forward to use the park. For more details please contact the Health and Wellbeing Team at Sedgemoor District Council via parks@sedgemoor.gov.uk or call 0300 303 7800.


Volunteering and Fund Raising

The Friends of Marine Cove organise free events throughout the year to help raise funds for the upkeep of the gardens. All are welcome.

pdf Marine Cove Information leaflet [802.89KB] pdf Marine Cove Environmental Policy 2018 [221.03KB]