This unique 18th century flour mill stands on the "Isle of Wedmore", a ridge giving commanding views of Cheddar Gorge, the Somerset Levels and Brent Knoll. A windmill is mentioned on this site as far back as 1317. Although it last worked in 1927, the mill has been carefully restored.
Ashton Windmill is located near Stone Allerton on a minor road between Weare (A38) and Wedmore. The National Grid Reference is ST415503. There is no Post Code for the windmill itself, but if you have a SatNav, try BS26 2PP.
The Windmill is open Sundays and Bank Holidays 2.30pm to 4.30pm (between Easter Sunday and end of September), Wednesdays 2.30pm to 4.30pm (July and August). Admission to Ashton Windmill is free, and group visits are available by arrangement. Please contact a member of the Friends of Ashton Windmill on 01278 789859.
Blake Museum is run by Bridgwater Town Council and supported by Sedgemoor District Council in association with the Friends of Blake Museum . Admission to the Blake Museum is free.
Blake Museum is the local museum for archaeology and history, covering the former Bridgwater Rural District Council area.
Blake Museum is located in the heart of Bridgwater, a historic market town and port, first mentioned as Brugie in the Domesday Book of 1086. The Museum was first opened to the public in 1926 in a sixteenth century house. It is said that Robert Blake, the town's most famous citizen, was born in the house in 1598.
Blake became a national hero in the mid-17th century following his exploits fighting on the side of Parliament during the English Civil War and later as General-at-Sea in wars against both the Dutch and Spanish. For more information about Robert Blake, please see the Friends of Blake Museum website
King John's Hunting Lodge
King John's Hunting Lodge in Axbridge, aims to illustrate the history, geology and community of Axbridge and the surrounding area. For more information, including opening times etc, please visit Axbridge & District Museum at King John's Hunting Lodge, Axbridge website.
Somerset Brick & Tile Museum
The central feature of this museum is the only remaining tile kiln in Bridgwater. The Museum is dedicated to one of the many labour intensive coal-based industries which were once found in most Somerset towns. The displays inside show the methods and processes involved in producing the impressive variety of bricks, tiles, terracotta plaques and other wares once used to create the distinctive "look" of towns like Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea and Glastonbury.
The museum is open 10:00am to 4:00pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Group entries can be admitted at other times by arrangement only. Limited parking is available, there are also toilets and access for people with disabilities.
The Museum is managed by Somerset County Council Museums Service with assistance from Sedgemoor District Council. Please visit the Somerset Brick & Tile Museum webpage or contact the Somerset County Museums Service for more details, including events and opening times, on 01823 278805.
Westonzoyland Pumping Station
Somerset's earliest steam-powered pumping station (built in 1830) is located beside the River Parrett near Westonzoyland. The pump was essential to get water out of the rhynes up into the River to preserve nearby fields. Buildings at the pumping station now house a growing collection of working stationary steam engines and exhibits of land drainage history.
For more information, including opening times etc, please visit the Pumping Station, Westonzoyland website.
Battle of Sedgemoor
The last battle fought on English soil took place near Westonzoyland in 1685. It was the last stand of the rebel Duke of Monmouth in his bid for the English throne. For more details see Battle of Sedgemoor. There is a battlesite memorial and a display about the Monmouth Rebellion in Westonzoyland Parish Church.