Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Essential Systems Maintenance

Due to essential maintenance the following systems will be unavailable in the morning on Saturday 24th March: Reports Agendas and Minutes, Planning Online, Planning Online Archive, Environmental Health Online.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Dangerous Wild Animals

Any person wishing to keep certain species of 'dangerous wild animals' is required to hold a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. The Act was introduced to control the keeping of certain kinds of dangerous wild animals. Except for certain establishments, e.g. a licensed pet shop, zoo, circus etc. no-one may keep a dangerous wild animal without a licence, to which strict criteria are applied before one can be issued.

An application form and further details can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.

Anyone considering keeping an 'exotic animal' is advised to contact the Dog Warden before committing themselves to obtaining the animal. They may also wish to look at a list of animals that are considered to be dangerous wild animals.

What is required before a licence can be granted?

The standards of safety and accommodation for the animal are paramount considerations for the Council when it is deciding whether to issue a licence. Please note that Public Liability insurance must also be held and proved by the owner of the animal upon any grant of a licence.

There are a number of criteria that must be satisfied before any grant of a licence would be agreed to by the Council. If you require any further information on what these are, please contact the Licensing Unit.

pdf Dangerous Wild Animals Licence Application Form [9.68KB] pdf Animals Covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 [54.38KB] pdf Animal Welfare Fees [12.91KB]