Postcode Search
Budget Consultation Icon
Budget Consultation

Sedgemoor District Council wants you to have your say in how the Council should spend your Council Tax.

Take part in our Budget Consultation here.

Licensing Act 2003 - Information and Application Forms

The Licensing Act 2003 covers the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment activities and late night refreshment.

The Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act 2003 came fully into force on the 24th November 2005.

The Licensing Unit at Sedgemoor District Council administers the licensing regime, and follows the Council's licensing policy that promotes the Licensing Objectives set out below:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.

Under the Act, any of the following "licensable activities" will require a licence:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs and their guests
  • the provision of "regulated entertainment" to the public, or to club members or their guests, with a view to making profit
  • the supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am, for consumption on or off the premises (this will include mobile food vans).

"Regulated entertainment" includes the performance of a play, an exhibition of a film, an indoor sporting event, a boxing or wrestling entertainment, a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music, a performance of dance.

Premises Licences

A premises licence is required for venues, including sites in the open air, where any of the licensable activities take place. If alcohol is to be sold, then the premises must have a designated premises supervisor responsible for all sales of alcohol made on the premises. This person must be the holder of a personal licence and their name will be endorsed on the premises licence. Applications to licence new premises must be advertised for a period of 28 days on the premises. Representations from "authorised persons" (for example police, fire or environmental health officers) or "interested parties" (for example, local residents, resident's associations, local businesses and trade associations) can then lead to the Council's Licensing Panel holding a hearing to determine a licence. Except for events of a limited duration, a premises licence lasts in indefinitely. However, it can be reviewed by the Licensing Panel, at any stage, upon application by a relevant authority or interested party because of problems arising at the premises in connection with any of the four licensing objectives. Conditions can be imposed that promote the licensing objectives, for example requiring noise control measures to control public nuisance. In Sedgemoor, around 530 premises will need to hold a premises licence.

Applications for premises licences must include a plan of the premises, showing details of fire exits and fire fighting equipment, stage area, toilets, kitchen etc. A full operating schedule which details the steps the applicant proposes to promote the licensing objectives and details of the designated premises supervisor is required. The operating schedule should include details such as descriptive information about the premises, a statement of the proposed relevant licensable activities, details of any risks associated with the location, size, opening hours, controls on capacity, soundproofing, door supervisors etc and must state what controls are proposed.

Further information is available here:  Icon for pdf Premises Licences [38.71KB]

Club Premises Certificate

A club premises certificate is required for club premises for the supply of alcohol to members and their guests or the provision of regulated entertainment. No personal licence holder is required to enable a club premises certificate to be operated.

Should such applications attract objections (either from relevant authorities or interested parties), the Council's Licensing Panel will decide the application. Should there be no objections the application will be automatically granted. In addition to applications for variations, the operating schedule is a mandatory requirement for new premises licence applications and club premises certificates.

Further information is available here:  Icon for pdf Club Premises Certificates [36.58KB]

Personal Licences

A personal licence now lasts indefinitely and is required by anyone who wants to allow the retail sale of alcohol as part of his or her business. Personal licences are valid for 10 years, unless surrendered, revoked or suspended, and holders are authorised to sell alcohol anywhere in the country at premises that have a valid premises licence. A personal licence holder must have an accredited qualification. The qualifications currently accredited are the 'Level 2 Certificate for Personal Licence Holders' issued to persons, successfully completing the course, by the accredited training organisations.

Temporary Events

Temporary event notices are intended for one-off events (for example school activities, charitable and community events). They will relate to temporary events, of up to 168 hours, with no more than 499 attendees (including staff and performers) where "licensable activities" are planned to take place, and a premises licence is not held. Applicants must give at least 10 working days notice to the police and the licensing authority. The police can object on the grounds of preventing crime and disorder, in which case there would be a hearing by the Licensing Panel, otherwise the notice would be acknowledged by the Council and the event will be able to proceed. There are restrictions upon the number of temporary event notices a person can apply for (50 for a personal licence holder and 5 for anyone else) and the number of times a temporary event can be held at any particular premises (15 times in a calendar year for a maximum aggregate time period of 21 days).

Further information on the Licensing Act is available here:  Icon for pdf Temporary Event Notices [117.58KB]

Information about licensing, including fees, and application forms

The information document (SDC Guidance for Applicants) will give you information about licences and notices when you come to complete your application form(s). Please note, all documents, including Licensing Fees are available to download from the bottom of this page. (Adobe's Acrobat Reader is required to view and print these documents, which can be downloaded from the link in the box to the right). 

  • When completed, all applications should be sent to our Licensing Unit. 
  • Copies of applications for Premises or Clubs should be forwarded to Avon and Somerset Police, Child Protection, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, and Trading Standards.

We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times.  To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice.

If you are not satisfied with the way your personal information is handled please contact the Data Protection Officer at

pdf Sedgemoor District Council Guidance for Applicants [174.08KB] pdf Application and declaration for Club Premises Certificate [598.58KB] pdf Application for a Premises License [557.91KB] pdf Personal Licence Application Form [199.19KB] pdf Personal Licence Replacement Application Form [19.77KB] pdf Application to vary a Premises Licence [472.03KB] doc Apply to transfer a premises licence [136KB] pdf Application for variation to a Personal Licence [830.21KB] pdf Application to vary a Club Premises certificate [597.9KB] pdf DPS Consent form [28.0KB] pdf DPS Variation [243.03KB] pdf Disclosure of convictions [153.01KB] pdf Licence Holder Consent Form [19.99KB] pdf Provisional Statement [510.93KB] pdf Example Newspaper Notice [10.87KB] pdf Relevant Authorities [236.98KB] pdf Licensing Policy 2014 [393.94KB] pdf Licence fees [50.5KB] pdf Transfer a Premises Licence [206.89KB] arrowTemporary Event Notices arrowHow to report problems and apply for a Review arrowRecent licence Applications under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005 arrowHow to object to a licensing application