Postcode Search
xmas alert Icon
Christmas and New Year in Sedgemoor

Sedgemoor District Council will remain open for business as usual during the holiday period on all days except bank holidays.

Revised rubbish and recycling collection days are available here: Christmas & New Year Waste Collections


Premises Licenses

The Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act 2003 came fully into force on the 24th November 2005.

The Licensing Unit at Sedgemoor District Council administers the licensing regime, and follows the Council's licensing policy that promotes the Licensing Objectives set out below:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.

Under the Act, any of the following "licensable activities" will require a licence:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs and their guests
  • the provision of "regulated entertainment" to the public, or to club members or their guests, with a view to making profit
  • the supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am, for consumption on or off the premises (this will include mobile food vans).

"Regulated entertainment" includes the performance of a play, an exhibition of a film, an indoor sporting event, a boxing or wrestling entertainment, a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music, a performance of dance.

Licence Summary

You will need a licence from Sedgemoor District Council if the premises is situated in the Sedgemoor area and you wish to provide the following Licensable activities:

  • Late night refreshment (i.e. the sale of hot food and/or hot drinks between 11pm and 5am)
  • Regulated entertainment
  • Sale/Supply of alcohol

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age.

Any premises licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have an entitlement to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who uses or carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a chief police officer of a force in England
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • a person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this advice is available on GOV.UK here.

Application Evaluation Process

Applications for the Sedgemoor District should be sent to the Licensing Unit, Environmental Services, Sedgemoor District Council, Bridgwater House, Kings Square, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 3AR .

Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by any required fee. An Operating Schedule, plan of the premises and a consent form from the Designated Premises Supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity) must also be included.

An Operating Schedule will include details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • information in respect of the Designated premises supervisor
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information

For new, provisional statements or full variation applications a notice must be displayed on the premises for a period of 28 consecutive days starting from the day after the day the application is made to the Licensing Authority. The Notice must be to the specified size and colour (light blue).

A notice must also be displayed in a local newspaper circulating in the area to which the premises relate. The notice must contain the same information as the notice on the premises. It must be displayed in the newspaper within 10 working days from the day the application is made. The notice only has to appear once in the local paper. Please note that if the requirements of these notices are not met the Licensing Authority may require you to re-advertise and the 28 day consultation period will recommence.

The objection period for new, provisional statements or full variation applications is 28 days.  If no representations are made in this time the application must be granted as applied for by the Licensing Authority.  If representations are made and they cannot be resolved the matter will be considered by the Licensing panel at a Hearing which must be held within 20 working days of the end of the objection period.  In considering the application the Panel will have regard to the evidence placed before them by all parties and to the effect of the application on the promotion of the licensing objectives.  If a Hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected. The Licensing Authority will notify the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations and the Chief of Police of its decision.  For minor variations the objection period is 10 working days.  If no representations are made in this time the application must be granted as applied for by the Licensing Authority.  If valid representations are received there is no right to a Hearing and the application is refused. 

For new, provisional statements or full variation applications a notice must be served on all the Icon for pdf Relevant Authorities [236.98KB] .

A notice is also required for a minor variation application. The notice must meet the statutory requirements and be no smaller than A4 size on white paper. However, unlike full variations the consultation period is reduced for these applications. The notice has to be displayed on the premises for a period of 10 working days from the day after the application is made. No newspaper public notice is required for minor variations and responsible authorities will only be consulted if considered necessary. The Government has issued guidance in relation to minor variations

A statutory fee is payable upon application.  The minor variation fee is £89.

Applications can also be made to vary a designated premises supervisor (DPS) or transfer a licence. A Hearing may be held if representations are made. Other applications that can be made are applications for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. If Sedgemoor District Council does not respond to an application within the target completion period shown above (or following an extension), the authorisation will be deemed to have been granted tacitly unless different arrangements are in place that are justified by an Overriding Reason of Public Interest. - Alcohol Licensing Regulations

Apply and Pay Online

You can find out how to apply on-line and obtain further information in this guidance document:  Apply for a Premises Licence on GOV.UK

Apply via post or in person

You can apply for a new premises licence, provisional statement or interest in a licensed premises, or vary an existing licence.  Premises licence application forms are available using the link below and can be printed, completed and posted with the relevant fee.  

Apply for a Premises Licence

Apply for a Provision Statement

Apply for a Designated Premises Supervisor

Designated premises Supervisor Variation

Apply to vary your Premises Licence

Notify us of an interest in premises under section 178

Tell us about a change to your existing interim authority notice 

Tell us about a change to your existing consent to transfer

Notify us of your request to be removed as Designated Premises Supervisor

Tell us about a change to your existing consent to be designated

Tell us about a change to your existing application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as Designated Premises Supervisor

Failed Application Redress

If an application for a licence is refused the applicant can appeal. Appeals can be made to a Magistrates' Court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

A licence holder may also appeal to the Magistrates' Court (within 21 days of notice of the decision on the application) against any decision made by the Licensing Authority including any conditions attached to a licence, a decision to reject a variation application, a decision to reject a transfer application or a decision to exclude an activity or person as Designated Premises Supervisor.

We aim to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation at all times.  To see how we handle personal information, please ensure that you have read our Privacy Notice.

If you are not satisfied with the way your personal information is handled please contact the Data Protection Officer at

pdf Sedgemoor District Council Guidance for Applicants [174.08KB] pdf Example Notice [391.69KB] pdf Licence fees [50.5KB] pdf Provisional Statement [510.93KB] pdf Relevant Authorities [236.98KB] pdf Licensing Policy 2014 [393.94KB]