Postcode Search

Event Safety

Planning a musical, or other event, so that the events run safely, can be difficult for small event organisers. All event organisers need to carefully consider the event to minimise the risk of injury or ill health to both those working at the event, such as performers, as well as those attending.

The New Purple Guide to Health, Safety and Welfare at Music and Other Events aims to help those who organise music or similar events, so that the events can run safely. As an employer, the event organiser - whether an individual, collective or local authority - has a general duty to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their employees. They also have a duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that others - including volunteers and spectators - are not exposed to risks to their health and safety arising from the operation of the event.

In some areas, the Guide signposts users to other sources of information that may be helpful. At time of publication all the links were checked and it is intended that these will be regularly updated and amended if necessary. The New Purple Guide can be accessed here:  The Purple Guide to Health, Safety and Welfare at Music and Other Events

Smaller events and Volunteers

Due to the complexity of organising a wide range of events, the guide contains a large amount of detail, which may not always be relevant for some smaller events. Organisers running modest scale events may wish to also refer to the HSE"s event safety web page here:  HSE - Guidance on running events safely

Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

The Sedgemoor SAG's aim is to welcome and encourage events to take place within Sedgemoor whilst ensuring that they take place safely and successfully.  Through consultation and joint working between the Council and its partners, including Avon and Somerset Police, South West Ambulance Service, Somerset Fire and Rescue, and Trading Standards, its aim is to standardise the approach to all organised events which are open to the public and are staged in a public place, on a highway, or on private, or council owned land within Sedgemoor. 

Frequently Asked Questions

link arrow
What is a Safety Advisory Group?

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event. They aim to help organisers with the planning and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies.

link arrow
Do I need a Temporary Event Notice for my event?

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is given to an individual and authorises them to conduct one or more licensable activities for no more than 96 hours.

For further information, please see  Temporary Event Notices.

link arrow
Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Whatever the size of your event you will have to think about what hazards are associated with your event, who might be harmed and what you can reasonably do to eliminate the hazard or reduce the likelihood of harm to a reasonable level. The risk assessment should help you plan for your event and to produce an Event Management Plan.

link arrow
What is an Event Management Plan?

The key to a good event is a strong event management plan. This should be a detailed, accurate and comprehensive document which sets out exactly what will happen at the event, the procedures in place to manage it safely, and what will be done to deal with expected or unexpected situations and emergencies.

Icon for pdf Event Safety Management Plan [134.47KB]

link arrow
Can I serve food at my event?

You do not need any special permission to provide food at a street party or community event, but if you are selling food or engaging food traders to come to your event then food hygiene legislation will apply.

See Food Safety for further information.

link arrow
Do I need First Aid Cover?

Your event risk assessment should help you decide whether you need to have first aid cover and what that needs to be. For small community based events like fetes and street parties you do not have to provide first aid for the public, but it is a good idea to have a first aid kit to hand and someone prepared to take charge in the event of an emergency.

link arrow
Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

It is a good idea to have public liability insurance to cover your event. If you are engaging contractors whether to put up a marquee, provide a bouncy castle, or run a food stall you should check that they have public liability insurance in place. The Council requires all hirers of their land to have cover, but for community run very small events it may not be necessary.

link arrow
Do I require a road closure permit?

If you would like to close a road for an event, permission is required.

See Temporary Road Closures for further information.

link arrow
Are you holding the event on Council land?

You will require permission to hold an event on Council land. 

See Booking events and permits for further information.

link arrow
Will there be fireworks at the event?

Follow the HSE - Organising firework displays and  GOV.UK - Fireworks: the law guidance when running your own or organising a display for the public.  

arrowThe Purple Guide arrowHSE - Guidance on running events safely arrowHSE - Risk Assessment Guidance arrowVolunteers guide to event safety