Postcode Search

Workplace Accident Notification

Certain accidents at work must be reported by law to the enforcing authority by the employer. Because there was often uncertainty as to whether the enforcing authority was the Local Authority or the Health and Safety Executive a central reporting point was set up called the Incident Contact Centre (ICC).

The law requires the following work-related incidents to be reported:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • Over seven day injuries - where an employee or self employed person is away from work or unable to work normally for for more than seven consecutive days (non including the day of the injury/accident)
  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • Some work related diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences - where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
  • Flammable gas incidents.

All reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences or cases of occupational illness should therefore be notified to the I.C.C.



arrowHSE Publications