Postcode Search
Budget Consultation
Budget Consultation

Sedgemoor District Council wants you to have your say in how the Council should spend your Council Tax.

Take part in our Budget Consultation and you could win £100!

Sewers and Drains

Sewers and drains can be public or private. Generally, the responsibility of maintenance belongs to the Water and Sewerage Company if they are public, or the owner of the property if private.

What is your responsibility?

You are responsible for the length of the drain that takes waste water from within and away from your property up to the boundary or to the point where it joins with pipework from another property.

You are also responsible for:

  • Pipes connected to private treatment systems such as septic tanks, soakaways and private treatment works
  • Other systems which do not connect to the public sewer such as surface water pipes which discharge directly to a watercourse
  • Internal drainage pipes or above ground pipework such as guttering or vent stacks.

What is Wessex Water responsible for?

Once a drain becomes a sewer (as it joins with another drain or sewer) in most cases that sewer then becomes the responsibility of Wessex Water. They will have drainage maps that show where foul and surface water sewers lie and should be able to confirm who is responsible at which point in the drainage system.

In most cases, private sewage pumping stations that serve more than one property and pump to the public sewerage system transferred to the Water and Sewerage Companies (Wessex Water) on 1st October 2016.  Wessex Water will be responsible for all maintenance, breakdowns and electricity for the transferred pumping stations.

If your pumping station has transferred to Wessex water, you will have received instructions on how to transfer the electricity account. If you haven't, please contact the pumping station transfer team on 0345 600 4 600.

If you part own or are partly responsible for a private sewage pumping station and have not advised Wessex Water of its existence, please telephone 0345 6004600.

More information on pipework responsibility, can be found on their website, here:  Wessex Water - Pipework Responsibility

How to report a problem

You can either call the number below, or you can report online here:  Report a sewer or drain issue

Sedgemoor District Council owned Sewage Treatment Plants and Pumping Stations

Septic Tanks, Sewage Treatment Plants (SPTP's) and Cess Pools