Postcode Search

History and Links


West Somerset has had a nuclear power station on the Bristol Channel coast since 1965 when Hinkley Point A began generating electricity.

Hinkley Point West Somerset has had a nuclear power station on the Bristol Channel coast since 1965 when Hinkley Point A began generating electricity.

There has been a nuclear power station at Hinkley Point since 1965 when the A station began generating electricity. Construction of the plant had started eight years previously on a 48 acre site. Hinkley Point A had twin Magnox reactors which ceased production in 2000 and it is now being decommissioned.

Hinkley B - an advanced gas-cooled reactor - began operating in 1976 and was due to cease production in 2016. In December 2012 it was announced that the life of would be extended until 2023.

EDF Energy is proposing that Hinkley Point C will have two EPRs each of which would generate twice as much power as Hinkley B, serving around 5 million homes. The government identified Hinkley Point C as one of eight sites in the UK suitable for new nuclear power stations.

Launch of Hinkley Supply Chain Portal


Planning Consultations

EDF Energy applied on the 31st October 2011 for consent to build a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point.


Hinkley Point C Project Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)

Hinkley Point was chosen as the site of one of the first nuclear power stations in the UK. Construction of the Magnox plant began in 1957 and labourers came from far and wide to work on the site.

arrowEDF Hinkley Point Consultation Information arrowDepartment for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy arrowCommunity Council for Somerset arrowHealth and Safety in the Nuclear Industry arrowEnvironment Agency - Hinkley Point C