Postcode Search
Alert Sign Icon
Essential Systems Maintenance

Due to essential maintenance the following systems will be unavailable from the evening of Friday 23rd March until the morning of Monday 26th March: Reports Agendas and Minutes, Planning Online, Planning Online Archive, Environmental Health Online.

We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Street naming and numbering

Sedgemoor District Council manages the naming of streets and the numbering or naming of properties within a street.

To report damaged or missing street name plates, please contact us using the telephone number at the bottom of the page, or  online.

Streets that are created as a result of a new building development are given names with the consultation of the relevant Town or Parish Council.

Sedgemoor District Council are responsible for maintaining a street gazetteer for its area including postcodes approved by the Royal Mail.                                                                                           

If your home has a number associated with it, you can also add a name to your property address. This would be as well as the number, not instead of; for instance: Rose Cottage, 4 Upper Street. You do not need to contact us to do this but you must make sure the proposed name does not conflict with an existing property name in that locality. 

Permission need only be sought from the Council if there is not a number allocated in the official address.

Please note that charges apply for house numbering changes, please contact us to apply.

link arrow
Developing a single property/small development - How do I number properties?

You will need to contact us (contact details below) as we have a responsibility for naming and numbering new properties.

A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

If the street has named properties, then the development plot numbers will be used initially to register the property address and subsequently, when the new owner chooses a name, we will follow our standard process of Property Name Change. The information is then sent to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant council services. You will also be sent a copy of the registered address from which we would ask you to inform your prospective purchasers of their new property address.

link arrow
How do I rename my house?

In the case of addresses where there is not a number allocated and the name forms part of the official address it is possible to rename your house. To do this you will need to send us a completed Street Naming and Numbering form. This can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the page.

We will contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request alternatives.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, Emergency and Essential Services and other relevant Council Services. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

pdf Application for naming of: New dwellings, subdivision of existing properties, new streets, and re-numbering of development sites. [487.11KB] pdf Application form the re-naming of a property or street. [378.71KB] pdf Street Naming Policy [156.44KB] arrowSomerset County Council